Monday, March 1, 2010

The Airport


The Airport

Taking her to the airport
Something I don’t want to do
Two months
Two fucking months
I won’t make it through

Holding her hand
I can smell the lotion
She just put on
The vanilla aroma fills the car

But I’m driving
Driving her to the airport
Have to stay focused

She has tissues in her hand
“Misting up” as she calls it
But I know the truth

We arrive
Park
And take care of her luggage
Sitting next to her
Waiting
Waiting for her flight to be called
This is really tough

I slide down my shades
To cover up my eyes
Swelling up with tears
She looks at me
And she knows

They call her flight
Please don’t leave
Struggling to stand
I give her a hug
One that will last two months

A kiss on the check
Forehead
And on the lips
It’s perfectly scripted
I say, “I love you”

Holding her hands
Our grasp
Slowly comes apart
This is goodbye
She walks away

My heart stopped
I stand frozen
Frozen in time

I said goodbye to my love
At the airport

No comments:

Post a Comment